2021 Spring Meeting Review
Wright County Coalition of Lake Associations (WCCOLA)
Wright Soil and Water Conservation District (WSWCD)
On May 1st, 2021, the WCCOLA and WSWCD hosted their Spring Meeting. The virtual meeting was well attended with 16 Wright County lakes being represented. Below is a summary of the content-rich meeting and links to the presentations.
- WCCOLA Election of Officers
- Review of Pleasant Lake Starry Stonewort Control by Kevin Bergstrom
- Early detection is the key! Robust mapping, hand harvesting, and chemical treatment are used to control the invasive.
- WSWCD Soil Resiliency Projects by Dan Nadeau
- Many high value soil resiliency projects to reduce erosion and subsequent nutrient loading to lakes, rivers, and streams.
- WSWCD AIS Control and Water Quality Monitoring by Alicia O’Hare
- All the details about the volunteer water quality monitoring process and AIS control in Wright County.
- RMB Laboratories Volunteer Water Quality Monitoring by Ellie Kriese
- Training materials and a great refresher course for water quality sampling.
Minnesota Aquatic Invasive Species Research Center | Big Wins in 2020
The Wright County Coalition of Lake Association supports the Minnesota Aquatic Invasive Species Research Center. Their annual report is available. Highlights include:
–Invasive Fish | Work on biocontrol methods for common carp.
–Invasive Plants | Control methods of starry stonewort and success when infestations are identified early.
–Invasive Invertebrates | Identify high risk vectors for spiny water fleas.
–Outreach | Provide robust suite of online information.
Starry Stonewort: Our newest Foe
Starry stonewort is one of the newer aquatic invaders–particularly fearsome due to its aggressive nature and ability to mat and interfere with habitat and recreation. Here are a couple of great videos to provide more information:
Wright County Coalition of Lake Associations Directory
Want to connect with other lakes in your area? A Wright County directory of lakes is available. Please email Kathy Jonsrud at firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be mailed to you.